Yippee! The very first Motion Starved Run With The Bus competition is here. In case you haven’t been following, we’re racing the 22 Fillmore Muni line from The Marina to Geary Street, here in San Francisco. The course is only 1.5 miles but includes a half-mile of climbing at about a 15% grade. “Ouch” is the word that best describes the climbing in this event.
At approximately 6:30 this evening runners will take on the janky electric bus. There will be spectators along the route as well as supporters on bikes to cheer us on. We have top finisher prizes and my pal Earl has built us a winners podium to insure top-notch photo ops. This is a pro operation folks, no messing around here!
With that, I’d like to take this opportunity to share a few hill running tips:
- First of all, think “soft eyes, soft mouth, soft shoulders” when running/riding/doing yoga etc… A tense face/body is not an efficient use of valuable energy. Relax!
- As you run, hold your arms so that your thumbs brush by, or just below your hip bones with each step. Most folks hold their arms too high.
- Your arms should not cross your body. Think “cheek to cheek” (face cheek to butt cheek).
- On a hill shorten your stride and pick up your knees pushing off with each step. Think, “push, push, push.”
- Running uphill, lean into the angel of the hill. Thrust your elbows back hard as you run. Run with power and conquer!
- Never, ever, look up the hill. Look straight in front of you about 50 feet. When you look up and see where you’re headed you panic. Don’t do that!
- Breath! Holding your breath is dumb for all sorts of reasons that I’ll go into another day. Just remember to keep breathing.
- Lastly, make friends with the hill. Most folks hate hills and panic when they see one. If you decide that the hill is your friend then you’ll have an easier time going up than the folks that are busy freaking out about it. Get me?
With that, we’re off. Good luck to all those participating in our Run With The Bus race tonight. I bid you a safe and speedy pursuit.
P.s. Official race report will be posted on Friday. Stay tuned…
July 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm
Great run, lots of fun. Those hills were super hard.
July 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm
Thanks for coming Ross and thank you for your video and photos. Will post on Motion Starved Facebook. You did an impressive job!