After I posted the piece on Eagle Pose for sore neck and upper back relief, I was asked to “write about more things like that.” So, here you go…
Try this sequence to bring flexibility to the shoulders, spine and neck, while softly stimulating the abdominal organs.
Cat & Cow
- Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips. Point your fingertips forward. Place your shins and knees hip-distance apart. Center your head in a neutral position and soften your gaze downward.
- Inhale as you drop your belly towards the earth. Lift your chin and chest, and gaze up toward the sky. This is Cow Pose.
- As you exhale, draw your belly to your spine and round your back toward the sky. The pose should look like a cat stretching its back. This is Cat Pose.
- Release the crown of your head toward the ground, but don’t force your chin to your chest.
- Inhale and come back into Cow Pose. Then exhale as you return to Cat Pose.
- Repeat 5-20 times.
For other basic shoulder stretches check out this site.
Pingback: Labor Day extended…. « Physical Funness for the Motion Starved